President Ram Nath Kovind is addressing the nation on the eve of the 69th Republic Day. Earlier in the day, President Kovind received the ASEAN Heads of State and Government at Rashtrapati Bhavan and hosted a lunch in their honour. "India-ASEAN relations have come a long way since we established our Dialogue Partnership with ASEAN on January 28, 1992. Today, ASEAN is a Strategic Partner for India. We have 30 dialogue mechanisms between India and ASEAN, including Annual Summits and 7 Ministerial Meetings in a wide range of sectors," the President said.
Broadcast of the President's address in Hindi and English on Doordarshan will be followed by broadcast in regional languages on the regional channels of Doordarshan.
Here are the highlights of the President's speech on the eve of Republic Day:
- President Ram Nath Kovind said today is the day to remember the freedom fighters who sacrificed their lives for the country.
- President Kovind thanked all army men, doctors, farmers, nurses, scientists, engineers and the mothers of the county.
- He said there were many more people doing a lot for the country, who he could not mention, but would like to thank as well for their service.
- The nation's freedom fighters fought not only for the nation's independence, but also for social change, said President Kovind.
- The lessons they taught are still relevant to us in every field, inspiring the development of the country.
- President Kovind also said that more than 60 per cent of Indian citizens are below 35 years of age. They are the future of our country.